Back from the (brain) dead.

July 31, 2011

Well I took my final test in arabic on friday.  I’m not going to dwell on how it went.  But now I’m back out of intensive study mode and able to communicate with the outside world again (other than my girlfriend and occasionally, my parents.)

As I said, I’ve spent the last few weeks studying and not doing much else.  I did finally find a good shwarma place, although instead of a tahini based sauce they serve it with this stuff that is almost like ranch.  It goes against everything my mother taught me but it’s still quite good.

My classmates and I have also been going to a local pizza place when we are thirsting for a change of pace. (We tried McDonalds once, and it’s really not very good. Also quite expensive.)  It’s called ‘Retro’ and is decorated the way moroccains think things were decorated in the US in the 1950’s.  Everything is pink/red with white trim, and there is a mural-sized picture of a bright red cadillac across from a mural sized black and white portrait of an indian chief in a huge headdress.  It’s quite the juxtoposition to be sitting in that environment and be brought a pizza with potato and carrot on it by a woman wearing a hijab.

With Arabic done I havn’t had much to do all weekend, which has been really nice.  We spent most of friday evening sitting around like there was something we needed to be doing.  Went to Cafe Clock for some lunch and then pretty much bummed around.

Saturday some friends and I went to the old city to do some last minute gift shopping/standing around in the sun.   Basically we’ve just been killing time for the last few days getting ready to head to the coast.

Also, while I was in the middle of writing this post, something interesting happened.  A few weeks back there was a pregnant street cat that had been adopted by the groundskeeper here at the ALIF dorms.  She gave birth about 4 weeks ago, and proptly hid the kittens somewhere after about a day of all the students fawning over them.

Now that all the students are gone, the few of us that are left were talking about the kittens and decided to go find them.  Believe it or not, they were all standing around in the back yard of the dorms mewing and being floppy.  They skattered into the bushes when they saw us and Maryam(the momma cat) came over for some head scratches.  We hung out for a minute, and realized that there was some pitiful sounding mewing coming from the sewer grating a few feet away.

We hauled the grating off and saw a tiny little kitten down at the bottom, doing its best to crawl its way out from the sewer.  After swatting away a few cockroaches, we had a wet bedraggled kitten in our hands that was promptly named Han Solo.  Now he’s off nursing with his mom(still wet and muddy) and hopefully doing better.

OK well I’ll update again when I get to Marrakesh or the coast.  Talk to you soon!


One Response to “Back from the (brain) dead.”

  1. Hilary Says:

    LOVED reading about The Retro (espescially becuase we just came back from lunch at Johnnie Rocket!!lol) and the kitten!! I also enjoyed the links to Cafe Clock and Essaouira! Looks SO wonderful! Can’t wait to hear more!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: